There is no standard classification of handline nozzles, as they can be sub-divided into different types depending upon on pattern, flow quantity, etc. Normally they are classified as follows –
- Solid bore nozzles (which discharge water in form of a solid jet only)
- Combination or Spray nozzles (or Jet/Spray type nozzles) which discharge in form of a hollow jet, narrow fog or wide fog. These can be further sub-divided into –
- Constant flow nozzles (those discharging same flow at a given pressure)
- Variable flow nozzles (flow can be varied manually for a given pressure)
- Automatic nozzles (flow varies depending upon pressure)
- Multipurpose nozzles (those discharging water in form of a solid jet as well as spray, even simultaneously).